Thursday, April 27, 2006

Nostalgia

I was playing around on Google Earth the other day and began looking at some of the places I was stationed durring my Navy days. In the areas of highest resolution I can usually pick out the house I lived in as well as a variety of locations around the base and some in the town.

Then I looked at Naval Recruit Training Center, San Diego - My Boot Camp. There seemed to be a lot of construction going on. Then one of those little 'i' messages caught my attention. I was informed by this message that RTC San Diego had been closed.

For some reason this made me very sad.

I don't have very many good memories of the place (it was boot camp after all), but I do remember some of the sailors I trained with and the sense of comradrie we shared. It brought back memories of my whole time in the Navy some of them good, and some of them bad.

I guess everybody feels it from time to time. Something sets you to remembering and even the memories of times you didn't enjoy living through make you a little wistful. Thats what nostalgia is about I guess, looking back and convincing yourself everything was better then.

In the (never was) good ol' days...

No comments: