Friday, September 11, 2009

Again with the NorVa

For my birthday Keith bought tickets to see the Reverend Horton Heat.

Pretty cool!

The show got off to a rocky start when we found out the opening act (Nashville Pussy) canceled. Don't know why. Anyway a local band took the stage for a little set, they were okay.

Then, after a short interval, The Reverend and his band came on. I was pretty unfamiliar with the songs as I don't own any of their albums (I do now, I got one at the show). But it was a pretty good show. A little thing at the beginning with the sound. I could barely hear that he was singing much less what the lyrics were. But by the third song I could hear fine and could even follow along with most of the words. Which is a pretty neat feat as I was hearing them for the first time.

They did a lot off their new album, which took a decidedly 'country' tack, but played a wide selection of older stuff, which was more the 'rockabilly' I expected. All of it was good.

They actually brought out one of the crew to do the singing on a cover of Motorhead's "Ace of Spades". Apparently a lot of appearances on this tour are with Motorhead... go figure.

A pleasant suprise for me was that after the show the band was available to sign stuff. I got all three signatures on my copy of the new album.

sweet.

----------------
Now playing: Reverend Horton Heart - Ain't No Saguaro in Texas
via FoxyTunes

6 comments:

Johnny said...

Now that you're firmly ensconced within the good Reverend's flock, know that, as one of the faithful, you need to spread his gospel to the masses. Start with your old cronies in Texas. Hell, as Texans, they're already walking with the right Reverend Horton Heat. They just don't know it, yet. Tear the veil from their eyes, Brother Matt. Oh... & grow out your sideburns, start wearing Western-style shirts, & speak with a drawl. You're one with the Reverend now, you need to look & play the part.

Johnny said...

Lanyard... LanYARD.... LANYARD! Shhhh..... lanyard.

Den, of Earth said...

What did you think I meant?

Johnny said...

Lanyard.

Anonymous said...

Eat Steak
Bales of Cocaine
Psychoabilly Freakout
Liquor Beer and Wine
Big Dwarf Rodeo
...

Johnny said...

"Bales of Cocaine" & "Psychobilly Freakout" were still part of the live set. Sadly, the other songs got bumped to make room for new material. I especially missed "Eat Steak". Damn fine show, none the less. Nice to see you still remember.

Lanyard!